“ I don’t really search for a job. All I do is to update my profile on Naukri and I wait for the calls – and believe me , I get more calls than I need” – A Developer with 4 years experience.
There are several job boards or web-sites where companies can post the open positions. But candidates – particularly the good ones don’t really “search” – they passively wait to be found by a recruiter. So it can be safely concluded that a developer or a tester with less than 10 years experience would default to this model. I thought that “Naukri” is where most recruiters would go to search for prospective candidates.
To learn the recruiters’ story ; I conducted a survey. Here are some insights based on the responses received from 36 IT recruiters.
- Not surprisingly almost 70% of the respondents were using Naukri as the main way to source resumes
Most Used Sources
- The picture became even more skewed in favor of Naukri when I compared the frequency of use- 78% were using Naukri every day.
- All other portals (Monster, Shine, Timesjobs etc.) even when combined together looked miserable. 63% of the respondents used those less than once a month!
Frequency of use
- Does this mean that recruiters are happy and given more time would stay with Naukri forever. Hardly! Over 90% of them felt that very soon they should start using other sources like Google X-ray search, Stack Overflow and Github.
Plan to use
Almost all of them felt the need to use more information available on social media channels like Facebook, LinkedIn and Twitter to get more information in addition to what is available in the resume.
Though the current picture is very skewed in favour of Naukri, most recruiters are wanting to try out Stack Overflow , LinkedIn, Github and job postings on social media. Winner will have to come up with some strategy to keep the recruiters permanently interested. Here are some irritants that the users are not happy about.
- Price- They find the price charged by Naukri exorbitant. They would like to establish a more reasonable way of sharing candidate information
- Integration with ATS and HRMS. Naukri resists any attempts to automatically invoke its servers to pull information. There are no APIs published for even paying users to allow their programs to access Naukri.
- Naukri is trying to be everyything to everyone. It has its own ATS and hence its against its business interest to integrate with Proplesoft , Success Factors or Taleo.
Please share your views and suggestion
Vinayak Joglekar is a technology & recruitment expert with around 40 yrs. of experience. He is a distinguished thought leader who has changed trends in recruitment and futuristic software development. He is acclaimed for recruiting and developing great talents in IT.
Vinayak believes in empowering IT recruiters with technical knowledge so that they can earn their due respect. Currently, he is the CTO of Synerzip and Director of Rezoomex.